It may be your first volunteer experience, or you may be wondering about the circumstances in Cambodia. You may also want to know what could be useful to bring to help the school. Former volunteers have created a list of things that could be useful for you personally, and together with the family a list about things the school needs.
We recommend that you bring the following items with you to make your stay more comfortable:
- Sandals / Flip Flops, to walk outside the house.
- Trainers or comfortable clothes – for cycling, certain tours which include more strenuous walks & relaxing at the house.
- Water flask. Drinking water is provided from a large drum. We reuse water bottles but you may prefer to use your own.
- Ear plugs – sometimes the pagoda plays music at 5 am.
- Insect repellent.
- Sleep bag liners. Although blankets are provided feel free to use your own.
- Toilet paper, as the supply depends on the volunteers.
- Toiletries – soap/sanitizer, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste.
- Raincoat and warm sweater depending on the season.
Useful Items for the School
- School supplies: pencils, pencil crayons, pens, rubbers, sharpeners, glue sticks, white & coloured paper.
- Teachers’ materials: whiteboard markers, notebooks, hole puncher.
- Educational games
- Story books for children, to fill the children library ( age range 5-10 years).
Those supplies are permanently needed. The family will share other useful supplies depending on the time or project on the Facebook page of AKD school.